Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Healthy(ish) Lemon Bars

I loooove lemon bars, but have never made them before, so I thought that I would give them a shot tonight.  I must say, these were not fun to make, and the whole time I was making them I kept saying to myself, "these are going to be horrible!', but to my surprise they were pretty good!  Jaidyn loved them!  I always have to add that part about Jaidyn loving them, because she is such a picky eater!  So when I can find something that she likes it excites me!


What you need:


Nonstick cooking spray
3/4 cup all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons
2/3 cup granulated sugar plus 3 tablespoons
1/2 stick cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 egg
1 egg white
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest (I didn't actually measure this out, I just used the zest from one lemon)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon water
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
powdered sugar

How to make it:


Coat an 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray, and preheat oven to 350.  Mix 3/4 cup flour and 3 tablespoons of sugar, then mix in the butter.  Now this part was tricky.  I used my fingers to mix the butter in with the flour and sugar, until the mixture became crumbly.  Next, pat the mixture onto the bottom of the greased pan.  Again, this was tricky.  The mixture stuck to my fingers really badly, so I had to sprinkle more flour into the mixture when I was having trouble getting it off of my fingers and onto the pan.  Once complete, bake for 15 minutes.  In the same bowl, combine egg and egg white.  Beat on medium speed until frothy.  Add 2/3 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, lemon zest and juice, water, and baking powder.  Beat on medium for 2 minutes until slightly thickened (it doesn't get very thick at all).  Pour over baked layer in the pan, and bake for am additional 20 minutes.  Cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar, refrigerate, and serve! 

I don't know why the bars on the bottom look red, but the aren't!  When I edited the picture it did that for some reason!

0 comments:

Post a Comment